This is going to be short, sweet, and to the point…. just like wedding cake should be… well, sweet at least. Many brides are trying to cut some corners with their wedding and save some money. Although, I totally support saving money… there are other ways to go about this without buying a grocery store cake.
Let me start off with saying why you shouldn’t cheat your guests out of a delicious tasting treat at the end of the night. That’s right… read that last sentence again… “at the end of the night.” Your cake, is perhaps the last opportunity to impress your guests at your wedding. Usually the cake cutting signifies the wind-down of the festivities. Don’t you want your guests to be talking about your wedding and how amazing the cake was for weeks to come?
So how do you save money on wedding cake, you may ask? Well, you can do a couple things…
- Have a smaller cake, and serve primarily sheet cakes from your baker to the guests
- Use cupcakes if they fit with your theme- often cupcakes can be cheaper than a slice of cake per person
- Having cupcakes also helps save money on a cake cutting charge if your venue requires this
- Use buttercream frosting instead of fondant
- Decide on a simpler design for your cake
- Use real edible flowers on your cake to decorate rather than sugar flowers (ask your baker if you would like him to place them, your florist, or someone else… this is his/her piece of work, and you should in no way change it without their permission)
Just to show you a couple of amazingly delicious cupcakes to complete this post… these are Key Lime Cupcakes from Allstar Gourmet Cupcake Factory in Boca Raton, FL. They are currently my husband’s and my favorite bakery… even when we have to drive an hour and a half to get there! You can find them on Facebook here.